Thursday, November 10, 2011

Dry as Rain by Gina Holmes


Award-winning author, Gina Holmes, has just released an amazing second novel.

Let's begin with the back cover copy:

Behind every broken vow lies a broken heart.

When Eric and Kyra Yoshida first met, they thought their love would last forever. But like many marriages, theirs has gradually crumbled, one thoughtless comment and misunderstanding at a time, until the ultimate betrayal pushes them beyond reconciliation. Though Eric longs to reunite with Kyra, the only woman he has truly loved, he has no idea how to repair the damage that’s been done.

Then a car accident erases part of Kyra’s memory—including her separation from Eric—and a glimmer of hope rises from the wreckage. Is this a precious opportunity for the fresh start Eric has longed for? Does he even deserve the chance to find forgiveness and win back Kyra’s heart . . . or will the truth blow up in his face, shattering their last hope for happiness? A richly engaging story of betrayal and redemption, Dry as Rain illuminates with striking emotional intensity the surprising truth of what it means to forgive.

And now, my review:

I didn’t expect a first-person, male POV as I read this summary, but I love first-person stories, so I was delighted to dive in. Holmes’s ability to make me suspend disbelief was admirable, though there were a few times I thought her hero was too flowery, too verbal. Overall, though, a respectable attempt.

Story-wise, she hooked me from the very beginning. I haven’t been in this hero’s kind of trouble, but I have needed grace and forgiveness. Holmes explores the idea that forgiveness means starting over. God forgets our sin. The heroine did not remember her husband’s failings. She treated him kindly, not giving him what he deserved. A fascinating exploration of forgiveness. And at first, the hero couldn’t accept it. He acted guilty, defensive, skeptical. Human. See the correlation?

By association, Holmes’s dealings with forgiveness also highlighted grace. I found myself grateful.

Writing-wise, I applaud Holmes for her accomplished attempt at tackling a full-length novel in male POV. Well done overall. She kept me turning pages, but more than that she kept me thinking.

And that’s what great fiction does.

Highly recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment