Saturday, September 30, 2017

Heart on the Line by Karen Witemeyer




Let’s begin with the summary:

Grace Mallory is tired of running, of hiding. But when an old friend sends an after-hours telegraph transmission warning Grace that the man who has hunted her for nearly a year has discovered her location, she fears she has no choice. She can't let the villain she believes responsible for her father's death release his wrath in Harper's Station, the town that has sheltered her and blessed her with the dearest friends she's ever known.

Amos Bledsoe prefers bicycles to horses and private conversations over the telegraph wire to social gatherings with young ladies who see him as nothing more than an oddity. His telegraph companion, the mysterious Miss G, listens eagerly to his ramblings every night and delights him with tales all her own. For months, their friendship—dare he believe, courtship?—has fed his hope that he has finally found the woman God intended for him. Yet when he takes the next step to meet her in person, he discovers her life is in peril, and Amos must decide if he can shed the cocoon of his quiet nature to become the hero Grace requires.

And now, my review:

I loved this nerdy hero! Most heroes are alphas, but this beta had a lot of appeal. The intelligent and brave heroine had my respect and sympathy.

The story was sort of an historical “on-line dating” story, and I loved it. The couple connects over the telegraph wire. The author included some hilarious scenarios that made me laugh out loud.

If you’ve read the earlier book in this series, you’ll have an advantage. Unfortunately, I hadn’t. So, some of the characters and their history was a mystery, and the “Aunt Henry” character threw me a bit.

I enjoyed watching the hero and heroine interact. Clever interactions kept me reading for a while. But I did feel a little lost in this series community.

I would give this book three stars because I lost interest at about 1/3rd of the way into the story. Readers who enjoy a lighter read with interesting characters and fun humor will enjoy this novel, but I do recommend reading book one in this series first.


No comments:

Post a Comment