Monday, September 6, 2010

Choosing to SEE by Mary Beth Chapman & Ellen Vaughn


Almost twenty years ago, when my now husband and I were planning our wedding, choosing music and dreaming about the future, we heard a song by Steven Curtis Chapman about commitment: “I Will Be Here” This seemed like such a meaningful and appropriate song for our wedding, so we asked a friend to sing it for us. What a special memory.

And through the years, we've listened to other SCC songs, enjoying his albums. So, when the news of Maria’s tragic death came through Spirit 105.3 in Seattle in May, 2008, I began praying immediately for this precious family while my heart broke in two.

And now, over two years later, what a privilege it has been to read Mary Beth’s account of not only her family’s grief in the wake of Maria’s home-going, but also her transparency as a Christian on her own journey with God. Her courage astounds me, and I applaud her willingness to usher us into the secret places of pain and doubts and perseverance.

God is glorified in this true story of loss and suffering. As a mom myself, I cried as I read the account. I could relate with Mary Beth’s honesty and poignancy. She doesn’t uphold an image. She’s down-to-earth about her life and pain.

The book reads fast, by design. Chapters are short, and you won’t feel bogged down in details.

Only recently have I taken an interest in this genre of autobiographic books and Mary Beth’s and Ellen Vaughn’s work ranks up there with the best. Very well done. While reading, I laughed and of course, cried. (Don’t miss Mary Beth’s rafting trip account. A great emotional release before the later chapters.)

For the hope in the pages, for the way God is honored in good times and bad, I highly recommend this book.

~~~

“Available September 2010 at your favorite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group.”

No comments:

Post a Comment