Monday, September 9, 2013

Five Days in Skye: A Novel by Carla Laureano



Five Days in Skye: a novel
I love finding a new author whose work I enjoy. With this debut novel, Carla Laureano has garnered lots of fans, I’m certain. And I’m one of them.

Let’s begin with the summary:

Hospitality consultant Andrea Sullivan has one last chance to snag a high-profile client or she'll have to kiss her dreams of promotion good-bye. When she's sent to meet Scottish celebrity chef James MacDonald on the Isle of Skye, she just wants to finish her work as efficiently as possible. Yet her client is not the opportunistic womanizer he portrays himself to be, and her attraction to him soon dredges up memories she'd rather leave buried. For James, renovating the family hotel is a fulfillment of his late father's dreams. When his hired consultant turns out to be beautiful, intelligent, and completely unimpressed by his public persona, he makes it his mission to win her over. He just never expects to fall under her spell.

Soon, both Andrea and James must face the reality that God may have a far different purpose for their lives—and that five days in Skye will forever change their outlook on life and love.

And now, my review:

What’s not to love about a getaway setting like Scotland? Such a treat to join our heroine and hero on the Isle of Skye. From the Scots’ interesting words to the beauty I could picture in my mind, I loved the setting! 

Our hero is a world-class chef, and this cooking aspect was delightful. I had no trouble believing the heroine as a capable hospitality consultant (what an interesting job!). I also loved her proficiency in music.

The prose and pacing kept me flipping screens. (I read the e-book version.) And the romance… wow. The romance developed so smoothly with just the right ingredients that I would place this novel among the top five I’ve read this year. Easily. 

Our heroine has been burned and in order to open her heart, she’ll have to try to trust the hero. Her guards will have to come down. Music tends to help her let go. He loves this about her. At one point, Aunt Muriel calls her fragile. But she’s very strong, while being sympathetic, which makes readers root for her.

Our hero has a reputation as a ladies’ man. And he hasn’t done much to correct this view, as if believing the lies himself. Now, he’s no saint, but he’s not what the heroine initially assumes he is. His nobility make readers both respect and champion him as well. Really well done.

I have entire passages highlighted in my Kindle and had fun rereading them as I penned this review.
    
Do yourself a favor. Set aside some time and read this book. Such a treat! 

Carla Laureano is an author to watch! 

Highly recommended.
(click for both print and e-book versions)

No comments:

Post a Comment