Monday, January 2, 2017

Do You Know What I Know by Becky Melby


Do You Know What I Know by Becky Melby


I enjoy Becky’s books, so I was excited to pick this one up over the holidays for $0.99 on Kindle.

Let’s begin with the summary:

When a phone call from the obstetrician’s office goes to the wrong person . . . Elizabeth Schmidt can’t figure out why her husband doesn’t seem excited about the news she’s sure he heard. Is he unhappy? Or is James cheating on her? Pastor Jay Davidson is in shock. Bethany Schmidt, the woman he’s in love with, is pregnant. Should he walk away, or is God asking him to play the part of Joseph in real life and not just in the church Christmas program? Bethany can’t figure out why Jay is acting so weird. Has he figured out one of the two secrets she’s keeping until after Christmas? Can a ponytailed itinerant carpenter with a pet chicken help unravel the confusion?

And now, my review:

What a fun novella! Becky spins strong romantic full of romance.

I had a little trouble with this one. First, I was confused in the opening “screens” because of the various characters. I had to reread to solve the confusion. Second, though there were plenty of modern references (like a cell phone streaming current Christmas music from one’s pocket during their holiday prep) the premise of this book was a misunderstanding based on an outdated way of notifying a family of a pregnancy. The miscommunication was based on a phone call from an OB’s office. The caller was vague and would probably have broken HIPAA laws.The author addressed this but I didn't feel like it was dealt with believably.

The fact that the characters could have cleared up the misunderstanding in a conversation was a bit annoying. I read the author letter, and she said that she usually doesn’t build stories on misunderstandings that could be cleared up in one conversation, but this time that was at the center of the story. Made things a little frustrating as I waited to see the story get worked out.

But, I was hooked and read straight through to the end. So, that’s a win for any author. (grin)

Overall, this is a fun Christmas read.

No comments:

Post a Comment