Monday, June 18, 2012

A Texan's Honor by Shelley Gray

The first book in Shelley Gray’s The Heart of a Hero Series was so good, I was excited to see this one come out. And now I can’t wait for book three.

Here’s the summary:

Texas, 1874. Years ago, Will McMillan had fought in the open, next to his Captain, Clayton Proffitt. Now, in book 2 of The Heart of a Hero series, he’s waging another war undercover, pretending to be a member of the notorious Walton Gang.

But when a hostage situation goes awry and an innocent woman is in the middle of the fray, Will knows he must protect her no matter what happens. Even if they risk being killed by his gang or by the lawmen on their trail. Even if the woman he’s risking everything for will never love him back. Even if all he's left with is his faith.

And now, my review:

I liked our heroine—very strong and courageous, yet believable. This author has a way with heroes. She gets into their heads in her characterization and shows their strengths, doubts, and weaknesses, and especially their hope. I like how honorable they've been.

This book offered two heroes for readers to follow, two story lines that intersected. After the author got us established firmly in Will’s and Jamilyn’s POVs, she introduced Scout Proffitt (the brother of the hero from book one). We followed him through his adventures and learned that this historical hitman character wasn’t all bad. 

The author explored themes like honor and whether or not people can change. Scout really wonders if he can change. When he meets up with an abused woman who asks for his help, he finds that just maybe he can. 

The story included some off-screen sexual assaults, as in book one, and some on-screen murders, but for the most part (and I’m a sensitive reader), I don’t believe those incidents should deter anyone.
Shelley has a way with story. She kept me engaged the entire time, while always avoiding the cliché story lines. Just when I thought she’d go one way, she went another. 

This book stands alone, though for maximum fun, I’d recommend reading book one (A Texan’s Promise) first. 

I’m guessing book three will center on Scout, and I can’t wait to read more of his story.

(print format)  (e-book format for Kindle)

No comments:

Post a Comment