Sunday, September 6, 2015

Edenbrooke by Julianne Donaldson



Edenbrooke by Julianne Donaldson

I’m a little late to this party, but so glad I came! I generally review current books and new releases. This book released in 2012, but upon a recent recommendation from someone I respect, I decided to pick it up. Even though it’s a regency romance and I generally read contemporaries for review, I had to give this one a try. Glad I did!

As always, let’s begin with the summary:

Marianne Daventry will do anything to escape the boredom of Bath and the amorous attentions of an unwanted suitor. So when an invitation arrives from her twin sister, Cecily, to join her at a sprawling country estate, she jumps at the chance. Thinking she'll be able to relax and enjoy her beloved English countryside while her sister snags the handsome heir of Edenbrooke, Marianne finds that even the best laid plans can go awry.

From a terrifying run-in with a highwayman to a seemingly harmless flirtation, Marianne finds herself embroiled in an unexpected adventure filled with enough romance and intrigue to keep her mind racing. Will Marianne be able to rein in her traitorous heart, or will a mysterious stranger sweep her off her feet? Fate had something other than a relaxing summer in mind when it sent Marianne to Edenbrooke.

And now, my review:

This story is written in first person, which I love to read. There was a hint of blindness about what the other characters were thinking, but it was so fun to uncover the other character’s secrets.

Julianne writes in a way that makes you want to reread her books. She keeps secrets from the reader that she slowly unveils. So if someone read the book a second time, they could pick up on the clues they may have missed the first time around. She also keeps you hooked from the opening pages to the end by closing her chapters in the perfect spot. So a reread would be just as much fun as the first time around.

Oh, the romance! I try very hard to avoid spoilers in my reviews. In fact, I often skip reading the back cover copy of books because I feel they give away too much of the story, so why bother reading? So, I won’t go into detail here except to say: the regency period was the beautiful backdrop for this very romantic story. I devoured this book.

So glad I stumbled upon this publisher and this Proper Romance series from Shadow Mountain Publishers. These are pure romances. I’ve recently finished Julianne Donaldson’s second book (Blackmoore) and will review that one here soon. And I’ve got a pile more waiting for me. Can’t wait!

Highly recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment